Things I miss about Ecuador:
- The cheap food.
- The beautiful scenery
- The “I’m in the southern hemisphere feeling.”
- The mountains
- The clouds
- The excuse not to carry a cell phone.
- The flowers
- The people
- The taxies – no really, taking a cab is fun.
Things I don’t miss about Ecuador:
- The bacteria.
- The trash everywhere.
- The internet “connection.”
- Single ply toilet paper.
- The lack of modesty in advertisements…. and I thought we had it bad in the States…
- The feeling of powerlessness to effect change.
Things I appreciate more now that I’m back:
- Talking to strangers – You don’t know how often you need to until you can’t.
- Drinking Fountains – They don’t exist when no one can drink the water.
- Tap Water – I think I will glare intensely at the next person who complains about American water. I have been thirsty for the last week trying to find bottles of water.
- Naps – Siestas are a wonderful tradition that need to go farther south.
- Debit card machines – going cash only is the pits for a high tech guy like me. No electronic “paper trail” and keeping track of coins is inconvenient.
- Grace Chambers – Sometimes you don’t realize how amazing someone is until you can’t see them for a couple weeks.