In this issue of New Media Monday you will learn:
- What are Podcasts?
- What are they good for?
- How to find and listen to a podcast.
- How to start your own podcast.
- A list of my favorite podcasts
What are Podcasts?
A podcast is an online radio show that delivers new episodes to people’s computers and iPods automatically. You don’t need an iPod to listen to a Podcast.
Podcasts In Plain English (video)
What are they good for?
Learning. Many podcasts are informative. They provide a great alternative to the dribble of talk radio. I have learned more from podcasts than in many of the classes I took in college.
Podcasts can also be an easy way to get the word out. There are over 50 million blogs which makes it hard to get a following. But there are less than 100k podcasts in the iTunes Store. Podcasting is newer than blogging and so it is easier to get a following for your podcast.
How to Listen to a podcast.
The easiest way to listen to a podcast is to download iTunes . The iTunes store has one of the most complete podcast directories on the web.
How to start your own podcast.
The easiest way to start your own podcast is to sign up for a podcast at MyPodcast.com which will host your podcast for free. All you need to do is record your voice using Audacity or Garageband and then upload the mp3 to MyPodcast.com .
Helpful Podcasting Links:
- List your podcast in the iTunes music store. Most podcasts listeners use iTunes.
- Be interesting. Boring podcasts don’t get heard.
- Listen to other podcasts to learn how its done.
My Favorite Podcasts
- Get it Done Guy’s Quick and Dirty Tips to Work Less and Do More. This guy is funny and I have been more efficient because of his advice.
- The Public Speaker’s Tips for Improving Your Commuication Skills. Good communication tips.
- Paul Washer Podcast . I have never heard a man preach like this man does.
- Cranky Geeks . John C Dvorák hosts a show where geeks argue about tech news. I love this show.
- Ask a Ninja . This podcast has no point other than the fact that it is insanely funny. Listen as a ninja tries to answer all of life’s most difficult questions.
- cGames Podcast . I host this podcast about the dangers of digital gaming.
I listen to almost all the Quick and Dirty Tips Podcasts . They are short helpfull and funny.